Lasallian Volunteers 2005-2006

Lord, The Work is Yours...

Friday, October 21, 2005

Callin' you out!

This week, a new science teacher started in my grade level. Well, on day three, the students were doing what students do to all new teachers, testing her.

She was appeared to be getting slightly frustrated with them and she said, "Listen, I've been to high school and graduated, I've been to college and graduated, I am qualified to teach this class."

One student, Dominica, ever so politely raised her hand.

Teacher: "Yes Dominica?"
Dominica: (as flatly and calmly as you could imagine) Well, just because you graduated from a high school and a college DOES NOT mean you are qualified to teach us."

I was horrified. It took all I had not to get up and take this girl out of the room. The new teacher stood there for a moment, took a deep breath, and said, "You know what Dominica, you're right! What you don't know, is that science was my major, I am pre-med, and this is the area that is my specialty. So I'm going to need you to trust me on this, I'm qualified."

Damn. She handled that well. That's all I could think. Dominica had nothing else to say for the entire remainder of class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home