Lasallian Volunteers 2005-2006

Lord, The Work is Yours...

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Does anything I say matter?

Ok so lately I've been having a problem with the kids not listening to me. Ahhh its so frustrating. I warn them if they continue to talk they will have to leave my room. So they continue and then I kick them out. Today, I had a girl talk the entire night. Finally I said you need to pack up your things and leave the room. What did she do?! Her and her friend sat and argued with me that I was singling them out and other kids in the room were talking too! I reminded them that they are not to argue with me and I will deal with the others accordingly. Did she move to the other room? NO! I know I'm not supposed to give in, but it was like 20 more minutes and LEO closed. I figured it would be best to not fight it tonite and tomorrow when she comes into study in my room, tell her that she will not be allowed to for the rest of the week. Its so frustrating that I can't even help a student for 5 minutes before some of the kids begin talking. They don't goof off for the brothers, but they do for me. Just so frustrating.

3 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger clare said...

Wow Kelly, all of this is sooooo familiar. We have to talk at midyear, I can really relate!

As opposed to the don't smile til Christmas, I try to form relationships with the students that are talkative and challenging. It's a lot harder to correct a student you don't know, and it's what I hate doing the most. What I've noticed is that students do feel slighted and that teachers are "taking sides" and "playing favorites".

I like to start conversations with them before there's a problem. Then they see you beyond your role as a disciplinarian, and when you ask them to be quiet it's not that mean lady that always yells, it's Ms. Botto doing work with the other kids. And if you can talk to them early in the day before it's a problem, you can give them a chance to bring up their feelings and a chance to explain your reasoning before it's confrontational.

I always love asking the brothers for advice too. They have so much insight into how to deal with situations, and your brothers aleady know your kids!

:)

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Jolleen said...

Of course what you say matters, just not right now. Wait about, hmmmm, I dunno, 26 years, then it will matter.

;)

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

thanks guys! I'll try to use your advise today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home