Lasallian Volunteers 2005-2006

Lord, The Work is Yours...

Thursday, September 15, 2005

understanding 7 year olds...

For the most part, 2nd grade is great. Kids are easily amused and I can create ideas like "Magic Tape" that my kids put on to keep quiet- and it works! But today, I would like to welcome myself officially to the "Mean Teacher's Club."

Today, Imani was not happy that I would not let her sit at a different table instead of her own place. She pouted UNDER THE TABLE for 2 minutes until I picked her up and put her back in her chair. Eventually, she decided to participate in class again. Then, 20 min later, after Solomon had won a math game and received a sticker, she threw another tantrum because she wanted one too. At this point, it was time for prayer before lunch. I asked my students to tell me one thing they enjoyed about the morning. Imani raised her hand, so I thought, "Maybe she's come around!?" Nope. She says, "I DO NOT like the teacher!" All of my other 2nd graders exchanged glances and said, "oooh, she shouldn't have said that!" in low whispers of course. I replied, "Well, that's OK Imani, I still care about and like you." She didn't like that answer. We stood for prayer and she wouldn't face the crusifix. I said, "Imani, you may be mad at me, but you must turn and face the Lord." She said, "I'm mad at the Lord TOO!" (the rest of my 2nd graders gasped!) I physically turned her and we then lined up for lunch.

THEN- she grabs my hand. I asked her if she wanted to walk in the front with me, and she nodded. As we're walking down the stairs, she was looking up at me, holding my hand smiling. I asked her if she wanted to have a better afternoon and she said yes.

And this is why I believe that 2nd graders are truly strange creatures... anything is possible and resonable thought or logic in dealing with behavior and emotions rarely exists...

At least there's a club for teachers like us.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Jolleen said...

Great insight Christine. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home