Lasallian Volunteers 2005-2006

Lord, The Work is Yours...

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Mean Teachers!!!

So there seems to be a lot of discussion about being the mean teacher. I think its good to be firm with the kids, just not every moment of every day. I too have become the mean tutor in some ways. The other day a girl began to throw some major attitude at Br. Anthony and I cus we wouldn't let her use a computer so she could cheat on her homework assignment. I swear I wonder if these kids think we're idiots. She was all, "Well Br. Anthony, What am I supposed to tell my mom about me not finishing my homework? Aren't I supposed to do my HOMEWORK at the LEO CENTER?!" I immediately replied, "You need to watch your attitude, right now!" She said, "What attitude? I don't have an attitude." I was not going to let this eighth grader get the best of me so I told her to do her homework and not a word about the computer. Least to say she didn't talk to me for few days after that and actually most kids seem to ask Bridget for help before they ask me. Which is fine, I have thick skin. Like we used to say in grade school, "I am rubber and you're glue. Everything bounces off of me and sticks to you!"

So I guess, it just comes with a territory. Cus like the 2nd year kids said at orientation- we're not here to be their friends, we here to teach them. Or something like that. (Oh and by the way, I refer to everyone as a kid. I don't know why its just something I do.) Well take care and God help the mean teachers (and everyone else)!

1 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Blogger clare said...

I can really relate, Kelly. Working in a tutoring center gives you a different role with the students than as a classroom teacher, and it can be even harder to find a balance of nice/mean. I find as you have time to establish relationships, it gets easier to correct kids. I guess that's the way I look at it. I'm mean in a sense sometimes, but I correct and alter behavior rather than yelling. What is mean, anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home