Lasallian Volunteers 2005-2006

Lord, The Work is Yours...

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

iowa- more than just corn

hey all, i was so happy to see some updates on here! I must agree with Julia that where I am now, iowa, isn't nyc I'm enjoying des moines and what it has to offer. my class this year consists of 25 kids and i have "the hard class" according to other teachers in the building. the teacher who had them last year told me, "just don't think this year, it will help get you through the year." yikes! well, they are a handful, but i love a challenge. most of my kids are Sudanese, Vietnamese, and Latino. I am teaching in what is considered "inner city" and there is a presence of poverty for sure. I love the diversity in my classroom, languages, cultures, interests, it's great! In other words, it isn't my fear of all whitekids sitting around having every want met by mom and dad!

derek is doing well in med school, he's not completely overwhelmed most days so i take that as a good sign. we also haven't killed each other yet, another good sign.

julia- i love your classroom!!! it looks so BIG! lots of space for your creative bulliten boards.

take care and write more!
-Christine

ps- i got a letter from one of my students from last year in harlem and it totally made my week! they didn't forget me!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home