Lasallian Volunteers 2005-2006

Lord, The Work is Yours...

Monday, October 03, 2005

blame the terrorists

Last weekend, I continued a family tradition and traveled to DC to do the Army ten miler with my dad and my brother. The race is the largest ten mile run in the country - 20,000 people. Well, yesterday it was also the longest ten mile race in the country as well.

The race begins at the Pentagon in Virginia, heads over to DC where runners run about 8 miles, and goes back over the 14st St. bridge to the Pentagon to finish.

The DC police got a report of a suspicious package underneath the 14th st. bridge minutes after the race had started. So they made a last minute decision to divert the race - and make it an extra mile without telling any of us. There was no official time, no information, and for about 10 minutes everybody kept shouting at me, "one more mile left" and I was left to wonder how long this "one last mile would last". So I ran an extra mile because of a terrorist threat. But it's all in the name of national security, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home